Suffering Is Not “Optional”

Ironically, it has been those who have grieved that have not given me advice on how to get through it.

A lovely and sensitive woman I met through all of this told me about the day her husband left to take their two children to school and then about the phone call she received telling her that all three had died in the same car accident.

“I can’t tell what to do or how to do it, Jim,” she said, almost whispering. “I can’t tell you how long you will suffer. What I do know is that you need to put one foot in front of the other. You need to continue living.”

One of the most brilliant legal minds in Mexico invited me to his home recently, “Jim, I took my family to dinner one evening and my six year old son died of salmonella poisoning. I know what you are feeling. You are profoundly sad and feel like your life has ended except for the heartbeat. I can’t tell you how to shorten the process of grief because I don’t believe it can be shortened. Just know that life goes on and, like it or not, your life will go on and I hope that you will find something to be happy about.”

Another friend of mine lost his wife of 42 years, the mother of his children, his best friend. “You don’t think you will make it through. But you will.”

No prescriptions. Just positive predictions based on their own horrific experiences.

On the other hand, there is an oft-repeated quotation I hear from those who have never felt the sadness and hopelessness and fear we call grief: “Pain is required. Suffering is optional.”

When I hear that I know that the person mouthing those words has, to this point in their lives, been spared grief. I know that pain that cannot be stopped, and that has no prospect of relenting, and eliminates one’s future, becomes suffering. Automatically. It is not optional. Whether it is the death of a child or a lover around whom you have built a plan for the future, pain becomes suffering at the moment you recognize there is no way to stop it, that those who are lost are not coming back and you will never find anyone like them again. Your life will never be the same. Your dreams will never come true.

Never.

The truth is this: suffering may change forms over time but it never stops.

You may habituate and learn to focus on other parts of your life that bring joy and satisfaction, but eventually you have to go home and turn off the lights. It is then the images of a life unfulfilled, the injustice of a life taken too early, fill your mind and send you for the vodka and the Xanax if only to draw you into merciful unconsciousness where you pray that your dreams will spare you from your reality.

The woman who lost her husband and children in the same moment and the brilliant lawyer who saw his six year old son die, and my friend who tragically lost his wife of four decades to cancer, are all remarkably positive people. It is not because they have forgotten. It is not because they don’t still suffer. Rather, I believe it is because life provides only two choices: live in the present or end your existence. And, interestingly, it is those who have experienced grief who don’t condemn the latter choice for some. They elected to continue. They came out the other side. But the memories, the suffering, continues. Always. Happiness for some who have experienced grief may be out of the question, but they have learned to be satisfied or least settle for what is happening.

For most, the light is still worth the candle. I am not there yet.

Subscribe here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Way Back To Eden

Fifteen Months, Fifteen Days

On Being A Loner

Rules For White Boys Dating Latinas

I did nothing today

An Obituary For The Only Woman I Ever Truly Loved

I Love Her…

Merry Christmas From The “Greatest Nation”

So, What Was So Special About Her?